HA9 Task 4 - Conclusion

Research is not the easiest thing to do. Primarily it does require at least some basic knowledge in order to actually know what we want to ask for. The more we know the better quality the survey will be and ideally the better answers we will obtain. Obviously the secondary, just like primary, requires that basic knowledge as well as good researching skills (like knowing what websites are a better source etc.).

For GTA V, it was incredibly hard to find a relevant secondary research results, so I had to rely on things like reviews, comments and the game's graphics. I personally don't prefer searching for secondary research, only when it's to learn new terms, but not to find data findings of some topics.

Searching the secondary data is still hard, since not everyone wants to conduct their own research and not everyone make it in depth. In one of the websites I seen that apparently elderly people play GTA V, and not just few but a lot of them. Information such this I don't find exactly believable.

Conducting primary research was much easier, at least writing the questions. I did have to know what answers I actually want to receive and luckily I did play GTA V myself. For quantitative survey the questions were supposed to fit both the gamers as well as non-gamers. They asked about the respondent before asking them the game related things. First three questions were about; gender, age, gamer type, whereas the rest asked about: played GTA V or not, platform, if GTA V is good and favourite protagonist. In the platform question I made a mistake and didn't include the N/A option, so I had to re-read the individual responses and delete unwanted answers from it. It taught me that next time I should make sure everything is relevant and test the survey before hand.

For this survey it was very easy to obtain multiple responses at once. Overall I received 28 responses both from Poland and England. I did partially ask in person to fill it in, partially through social networking. This is a quick way but sometimes people can mock you, luckily my respondent's haven't.

Qualitative survey was done exclusively for people who have played GTA V, at least once. The questions are much more specific, about respondent's views of graphics, gameplay, multiplayer, favourite protagonist and ultimately ask them what if anything could be changed in the game.

Obtaining the responses was quite hard. I did not have enough courage to walk up to strangers and ask them for filling it in. I ask some friends in person, but because they filled in a printed version their answers were short. I asked for voluunteers in a facebook group and only two people replied, although the last of boundaries (and maybe their nature) made them write a lot more for each question. It also could be differentiated of who played it more and who didn't that much in terms how much overall they wrote and amount of specific details. The most wearisome part was that I had to translate and type down the three most in-depth responses, but that gave  me a better view. Ultimately I believe that it's always better to question people from different demographics as it gives a wider spectrum.

For primary research the results weren't surprising; there was about an equal number of women and men who played GTA V, mostly young with many below the required age to play the game. Because of the place I asked people in (drawing group and in real life), there were more women responding to my quantitative questionnaire than men. Also there were no people older than 45. In qualitative survey I managet to get an equal number of girls and boys, but did only reach 6 instead of 10.

Next time I would start out the survey much earlier and try to publish it in several places in order to obtain even wider range of respondents. I would also try to actually find people willing to fill in the qualitative questionnaire. The appeal with a relevant picture works well, so I may continue it, or layout the survey in a nicer way.