HA10 Task 3 - Questionnaire

I have created two separate questionnaires for both Just Dance and The Last of Us. The questions are very similar, some are the same. Few of them are general questions like gender, and the majority asks opinions regarding the content and common codes in relation to genre. Both are published through links on Survey Monkey and handled.


The Last of Us Results







Translation from Question 4
"Oczywiście że tak... Gatunek gier przygodowych jest w stanie chyba pomieścić w sobie każdy klimat, od cukierkowego po dramatyczny, więc nie widzę powodu, dla którego miałoby tu coś nie pasować, a przyćmione kolory, muzyka tego typu i realistyczna grafika to chyba klasyka horroru? I tych wszystkich, w większości depresyjnych i klaustrofobicznych gier survivalowych także."
Yes of course... Adventure game genre is probably able to contain every atmosphere, from sweets to dramatic, so I don't see any reason for which something wouldn't fit in here and dim colours, this kind of music and realistic graphics are maybe horror classics? As well as the rest, in most of the depressive and claustrophobic survival games as well.

"Tak,Bardoz mi sie podoba :D"
Yes, I like it very much :D

"Zdecydowanie pasuje"
Definitely fits

Translation from Question 6
"Nie wyobrażam sobie nic nudniejszego i bardziej irytującego i na końcu jeszcze zawodzącego, niż granie w grę horrorową i survivalową, w której nie ma wciągającej fabuły lub chociaż ciekawych motywów... Chyba że miałaby niesamowity gameplay i mechaniki, które pozwalałby nie znudzić się tą grą po paru razach. Isaac jest dobrym przykładem gry ze znikomą fabułą, pseudo horrorowej, survivalowej, którą bardzo ciężko jest się znudzić. Nie wiem, jaka jest w fabuła The Last of Us, bo nigdy w nią nie grałam, ale jeśli jest zła, to lepiej byłoby, gdyby gra jej nie miała, jeśli jest dobra, to wszystko w porządku."
I do not imagine anything more boring and more irritating and dissatisfying at the end than playing a survival horror game in which there is no engaging story or at least interesting motives... Unless it would have an outstanding gameplay and mechanics which would aloow to not be bored of playing it couple of times. Isaac is a good example of a game with lacking story, pseudo-horror, survival, with which is very difficult to be bored of. I don't know what story is in The Last of Us, because I never played it, if it's bad then better if it wouldn't have it [the story], if it's good then everything's fine.

"Oczywiscie,ze z fabuła!Ta gra byłaby nudna bez niej."
Of course with a story! Without it this game would be boring.

"Fabuła to sens tej gry, bez niej nie odniosłaby takiego sukcesu"
The story is a sense of this game, without it it wouldn't achieve this success

Just Dance Results





Translation from Question 4
"Pasuje, oczywiście że pasuje, to gra z ruchem, z tańcem i tak dalej, powinna być wesoła, żywa i dynamiczna. Mam wręcz wrażenie, że w tej piosence, która jest w linku jest nawet trochę zbyt stonowana, bo muzyka ma większą moc niż animacja. Widziałam teledysk tej piosenki wiele razy i był on trochę dynamiczniejszy, niekoniecznie przez montaż a raczej efekty, ale może autorzy gry uznali, że więcej efektów skrzywdzi czytelność i grywalność."
It fits, of course it fits, it's a game with the movement and dance etc. it should be merry, lively and dynamic. I have quite the impression that the song from the link is subdued a little too much, because the music has the greater power than animation. I seen the music video of this song [What does the Fox Say] multiple times and it was more dynamic, not necessarily because of montage but rather the effects, but maybe the game authors decided that more after effects will damage readability and playability.

Translation from Question 6
"Nie jestem fanką pchania fabuły w gry na siłę, nigdy tych fabuł nie przechodzę, prawdę mówiąc nawet w wiedźminie 2 chętniej grałam na arenie niż w normalną rozgrywkę. Myślę że system dobrych osiągnięć i wyzwań byłby lepszy niż fabuła w tej konkretnie grze. Gdyby jednak najpierw napisać porządną fabułę i oprzeć mechaniki rozgrywki o wykonywanie ruchów tanecznych do zabijania mobków czy do czegokolwiek takiego miałoby to szansę zadziałać..."
I am not a fan of forcefully shoving the story into a game, I never pass these stories, to be honest even in the Witcher 2 I more willingly played on area rather than a normal game. I think that the system of good achievements and challenges would be better than the story in this particular game. However if someone would make a solid story and base the mechanics of the gameplay on making the dancing movements in order to kill mobs or whatever else, this would have a chance to work.

Comparison


Since I made two separate surveys, it is no surprise I didn't obtain the exact same amount of responses for both of them. Instead, I got 12 responses for The Last of Us and 8 for Just Dance.

For The Last of Us there was equal number of male and female respondents, whereas for Just Dance strangely there were more men responding.

The second question is a little confusing, since I haven't done it as one choice answer; I wanted them to say if they played those games alone or in a group and if not then if they would like to play it. In The Last of Us survey, everyone chose one answer, whereas in Just Dance two people chose multiple answers - Yes (In a small group) & Yes (alone) ; No (but I'd like to play it) & No (I don't want to play it). The second response was strange, as if the person was indecisive. In LoU 10 out of 12 answered that they haven't play the game, but only 3 stated that they don't want to play it at all. In Just Dance 5 people (but 6 answers) claimed that they haven't play it, but only one wants to.

When judging the age groups these games may appeal to, in the LoU the only choices fell on Teenagers and Adults, in the equal number (10 and 10). In Just Dance the choices were varied, majority chose options children and teenagers, few (3) chose adults and one chose elderly as well.

From the comments in question 4 it comes clear that both of the games are very successful in achieving their expectations regarding content, conventions and genre.

Not playing the games didn't put off some respondents from rating particular aspects in these games. There were total of 7 N/A answers for Just Dance and total of 9 for The Last of Us. LoU didn't obtain any bad or terrible ratings in contrast to Just Dance which has 3 terrible and 2 bad ratings. On average, LoU obtained 4 excellent and 5 good ratings for each category, whereas Just Dance got 2 excellent and 3 good ratings for each category.

For the last question, people agreed that Just Dance is far better without a story, so people don't have to think, jump in and out of gameplay and 'just dance' :D. For The LAst of Us however, respondents agreed that this game is better with a story, since it attaches you to characters, puts in the right mood and the game simply benefits from having one.